A manifesto towards anti-racism
- As individuals and communities we are living within a system of structural racism. We want to stay with uncomfortable conversations around difference. We want to be open to the possibility for an exploration. We choose not to dismiss others.
- We acknowledge what young people are bringing into awareness during this time of revelation.
- As people racialised as white we need to question our deep inherited assumptions and our shallow understanding of difference.
- We support the constructive conversations that revalue and reshape the existing structurally racist education system and school curricula. We welcome the ongoing deepening of awareness of what is this country’s history.
- We will strengthen our own resilience to enter the space of difficult conversations about social conceptions of race that may lessen our personal standing and privilege as white people.
- We have learned that the concept of blackness and whiteness is historically constructed to divide.
- We resist divide and rule. Groups of people should not be played off against each other to create divisions which serve an economic elite.
- We will play our part in rebuilding solidarity.