- We demand fuller support, care and understanding of people who have experienced trauma, stress, addiction and medical emergencies. People must receive urgent access to resources and support.
- People with lived experience of homelessness must lead Shelter Scotland’s policies and decision-making processes. They must be part of the co-production and co-design of services.
- We demand greater positive and informed media attention on the causes of, and the reality of, homelessness – as well as greater visibility of homeless charities.
- We believe that there should be easily accessible information relating to benefits, rent arrears, household bills and other useful information. This should be available in print in public buildings, face-to-face and online.
- There should be appropriate supervised support available in places like libraries and local council facilities.
- We believe that mobile phones with free phone numbers to support services should be available for the homeless community, to enable them to gain access to benefits and services.
- We demand an end to prejudice against people who experience housing insecurity.
Shelter Scotland Time for Change Peer Group